Christ Church History
Christ Church is over 100 years old, and the congregation still worships in the original building that was dedicated on the Feast of the Epiphany, January 6, 1895. Planning for the church had begun in the 1850's when Moline was a fledging community. Episcopalians worshiped first in family homes and later in other denominations' churches. Then in 1868, the small congregation formed a building committee and organized as St. Paul's Church. Apparently money was not available and the construction of St. Paul's remained an unfulfilled dream.
In 1891, some 60 people met with Bishop Burgess in the Diocese of Quincy and organized a mission church. They called their first priest, Father Robert Hewitt, to conduct services. A year passed, and Father Hewitt, perhaps tired of waiting for action on the new church, resigned. Undaunted, the small congregation called Father Laurence Sinclair to serve. The next four years were devoted to fund raising. Finally, a lot was purchased, and a simple frame building, 35 feet wide and 75 feet long, was constructed. The church was named Christ Church. Within ten years a rectory was acquired, the vestry was added, and a parishioner donated a magnificent rose window.
In 1948, major renovations took place. The frame exterior was bricked, a bell tower was constructed, and an apse was added behind the original altar to provide more room for the choir and celebration of Communion. In 1981, the need for a parish hall was addressed, and Savage Hall, named for a long time priest at Christ Church, was dedicated. When the parish hall became inadequate for the congregation's needs, a new parish hall was constructed to replace it. The new Savage Hall was dedicated in 2003.
Christ Church is committed to remaining a downtown church fulfilling the hopes and dreams of its forebears as well as ministering to the community and sharing the word of God.